17 January 2011

Toad in the Hole


My friend, Kelly, introduced me to Toad in the hole.  It’s a traditional English dish consisting of sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter, usually served with vegetables and onion gravy.  I have only made it a couple of times and I really need to improve on my batter mixture but it’s still tasty none the less.

Ingredients:

8 x Pork Sausages
1 x Teaspoon Olive Oil
100g Flour
1 x Egg
300ml Skimmed Milk
2 x Teaspoon Mustard, wholegrain
1 x Teaspoon Thyme, fresh

Method:

Preheat the oven to 180C (fan oven).
Put the Sausages into a small shallow non stick baking dish, add the oil and cook for about 15 mins.
Sift the flour into a bowl, drop the egg in to the centre and beat in the milk a little at a time until it makes a smooth batter. Stir in the mustard and thyme and season.
Pour the batter baking dish and return to the oven for 300 minutes until the batter is risen and golden.
Serve with veg and gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment