19 January 2011

Mexican Chilli Chicken


I am going to let you in on a little secret.  Not only do I get my inspiration from recipe books but I also get it when I go food shopping.  How?  Well, if I see a sauce (for example) that I like the sound of I will read the ingredients and directions and then go home and recreate it.  It’s really very simple and by doing this you won’t be eating the added preservatives etc. 

This recipe is one of my shopping inspiration creations.  It was very tasty but the picture really doesn’t do it justice.  I still don’t have a proper camera.  Am saving though so maybe one day I will be able to post some nice pics to go with my recipes.

Ingredients:

1 x Tablespoon oil
1 x Onion, sliced
1 x Orange pepper, sliced
4 x Chicken breasts, sliced into strips
1 x Teaspoon Cumin seeds, crushed
1 x Teaspoon Coriander seeds, crushed
1 x Teaspoon Garlic, crushed
1 x Teaspoon Chilli flakes, crushed
1 x Teaspoon Paprika
1 x Can Tomatoes, chopped
1 x Teaspoon sugar
1 x Cup Water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

Heat the oil in a pot.
Add the onion and pepper and cook for 2 – 3 mins.
Add the chicken and cook for a further 5 mins.
Add the herbs and spice mix and cook for about 1 min.
Add the can of tomatoes, water and sugar.
Bring to the boil.
Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 – 15 mins.

I crushed my herbs/spices using a pestle and mortar.

No comments:

Post a Comment